Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Bill in a box

I finally got a chance to pop my DVD copy of The Captains in the player the other night. I have been hearing good things about the documentary which is hosted by William Shatner. I was not disappointed. Although, to be honest, the documentary did catch me by surprise because it touched on a lot of issues about actors and their profession that I wasn't expecting. I think, as an insider, Shatner did a much better job of capturing some very poignant moments that your typical entertainment journalist could never have done.

I have watched Shatner's interviewing style on his show Raw Nerve and was impressed. He has a way of putting people at ease while at the same time challenging them to think about and answer questions on issues where other interviewers might have less success. I think, however, it is the combination of this style and his own experience as a captain ("The Captain") in the Star Trek franchise that offers the audience a very unique viewing experience.

His discussion with Patrick Stewart about "having fun" while at the same producing professional quality entertainment was very interesting. Shatner's own struggle with his role as Captain James T. Kirk was also explored, and while the film did focus on Shatner from time to time, it never at any time appeared to be self promotion or egocentric. In fact most of what the documentary focused on were issues that entertainers seldom discuss with the viewing public. It is sometimes hard to imagine that anyone involved with the success of the Star Trek franchise make sacrifices. But it is exactly why a franchise like Star Trek is successful because sacrifices are made.

I think the Trekkers must love this film (and I say that in the present tense as opposed to future tense, because I am sure I am the last Trekker to view it). It is an inspirational, thought provoking, and humourous documentary. It is not a "polished" work that is promoting any propoganda, but rather an honest look at how the captains of this popular science-fiction series struggled with their role as captain and cherish the memories and their link to the show and its fans.

It's worth a watch. Even if it is just to see "Bill in a box."


No comments:

Post a Comment